Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Going Home in Two Directions

I'm in a place where I can write about my life again. I've been on a sort of retreat. A very mundane sort of retreat, going to stay with my mother for several months. It's no cabin in the woods. But it was what I needed to do, and now I feel I can get on with life.

Yuletide is almost upon us, my favorite time of year. This year, I will be making a formal oath. As a Heathen, I do not take oathtaking at all lightly. I don't do it very often for this reason. However, I feel the need to make an offering to Frigga, and I feel an oath to her is in order. I'm still wording exactly what that oath will be, but it will involve being better at the biggest thing I've come to understand is important in life--my role as a wife, mother, and frithweaver. As a token of that oath I'm going to commit to doing something I've felt led to do for a long while but have only done patchily, and that is to go covered after the manner of matrons from time immemorial, including in ancient and medieval Heathen times. With my oath-taking I shall begin doing this full time.

The really fun part of this is that it is going to put me out there at work. I really think that with a well-drafted letter I'll not have trouble from this store as I did from the one I started at in Texas. There are a number of Muslim girls who work there in their hijab. The difficult part will be getting this large and obnoxious corporation to recognize that a non-doctrinal religion practiced outside the confines of a formal organization deserves recognition, despite the rather discriminatory (imo) wording of their dress code policy.

2 comments:

Hystery said...

I was so pleased to read your comment on my blog and enjoyed reading your blog. I'd love to talk more with you about your decision to cover as a Heathen woman. Since the birth of my children, I am highly aware of my powers and responsibilities as a matron and a spiritual person. I want people to see my dedication to a pagan path of environmentalism and motherhood which for me means the willingness to work hard, and to live with simplicity and integrity. I do not know if covering will help...I feel very drawn to it and still very insecure about it at the same time.

Some Quakers charge that plain dress is merely costuming and therefore not modest. I say of course plain dress is costuming! As if anything we ever put on our bodies is not already telling our story...whether of conformity, want, insecurities or challenge. Costuming is a powerful a way of communicating an inner journey! So much more for me to think about here. Thank you for adding a new dimension to my thoughts.

My beloved Goddess is Hel, btw.

Hystery

Ravin said...

I felt insecure about it at first, too. Now the only insecurity that remains is with regard to my work situation--I actually feel rather self-conscious at work, the only public place where I don't cover. I've been wearing a wide fabric headband until I get my letter turned in next payday.